Thread: News Article: Tom Renney takes blame
View Single Post
Old
12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
So, short of the Scotty Bowman's of the world, what coach hasn't had the benefit of one, two or three superstar players consistently taking over games?

The Rangers never played the trap under Renney. Certainly not the traditional trap that you'd see the Devils running over the past decade. Asking your defenseman to not take too many risks and asking your forwards to back check is not the trap. It's just a simple defensive system.

Renney took risks. What else do you call playing your fourth line on a minute-and-a-half shift late in a tie game? There was nothing flashy or overly exciting about what Renney did, other than win. He tailored a philosophy to a group of players that weren't overly flashy or exciting, save Jagr. In all my years watching hockey, I've seen countless coaches try to force square pegs into round holes--that is, implement systems that simply didn't mesh with the roster. That Renney was able to recognize the limitations of the roster and implement something that worked is a credit to him.

Also, I'm not buying that he was a hindrance to the development of his defensive prospects. Pock simply wasn't good...why would you mention him and Del Zotto in the same sentence? What prospects from our system were held back by Renney only to blossom elsewhere?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote