View Single Post
Old
12-23-2010, 02:24 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Price was a lottery pick at #5 (in 2005, when every team had a shot at #1) and Pouliot was the Wild's #4 pick that same year. I guess you're referring to superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Stamkos.How many Cups have the Penguins won since they drafted Fleury, Malkin, and Crosby (#1, #2, #1 in successive years? Not all high picks are in that class. Fleury at #1 isn't. Neither is DiPietro at #2.? Just one.Then there was Alain Daigle at #1. The last Hab #1 pick was Doug Wickenheiser, who dudn't even turn out to be a superstar. It's not just finishing last, it's also the year in which the Habs would have a lottery pick.
I'm referring to having one top 5 pick since 1985. I didn't say every lottery pick are high class, but they sure as heck give you a significantly higher chance to draft one. There's been what, two 1st overall busts in the last 20 years? DiPietro doesn't count, no sane GM or scouting service had him ranked ahead of Heatley or Gaborik.

When you have first round scouting as brutal as ours, having a top 5 pick sure as hell helps our chances of getting someone who will make an impact and can be a building block for a great team. Also with regards to Fleury, if we'd had the #1 overall pick in 2003 we could have taken Eric Staal, who was touted as the #1 pick going in to the draft.

Also to answer your question, the Penguins have won one cup, and had two finals appearances in a row. One more cup than we have in the last decade. Not only that, their team competes every year with a realistic chance at a cup run.