View Single Post
Old
12-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Ace2008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
This is how I see it. Although, it is sort of hard to determine as each player has a different role, but they all play a very similar game under the Tort's style of play. Feel free to agree or disagree,

Core Players:
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Dan Girardi
Henrik Lundqvist
Marc Staal

Complimentary Players:
Marty Biron
Michael Del Zotto
Marian Gaborik
Michal Rozsival
Mike Sauer
Artem Anisimov
Derek Stepan

Role Players:
Sean Avery
Derek Boogaard
Brian Boyle
Erik Christensen
Chris Drury
Ruslan Fedotenko
Brandon Prust

Leftovers:
Steve Eminger
Alexander Frolov
Matt Gilroy
Vinny Prospal
Todd White
Tim Kennedy
Wade Redden

My feeling is that although anyone can be considered core and even go to the doghouse its the youth movement that is working so well for the Avs

1 top tier RD w/ speed and lots of physical dominance/durability(doesn't have to score or rush the puck) to pair w/ Del Zotto would be a big addition to even out the pairings
the overlooked ColbyCohen for M.Hunwick deal was very interesting since both teams got prospects but while Hunwick is a good semi experienced puckrusher in the Avs system now Colby Cohen looks absolutely amazing mid-Long Term for both hitting and for using his PP Canon of a shot. So any players similar to Cohen in the Farm system would be a big asset to the NYR now but of course somebody w/ a bit more experience.

For the NYR to take the next step they need to have more than 3 lines...last year the winning ways heading towards the playoffs started when Shelley-Anisimov-Prust were used as a Dominant Line.
The fact that Prust probably could net 13-18 goals on such a line if given a stead 1200 minutes a year(80gmsX 15 min Per Game)

IF trading Gaborik were possible (the NTC combined w/ the hi cap hit and the fact that most cup contenders like LA are flush on the RW and are looking for LW's and elite Defenders or 2 way power Centers like Dubinsky(yes ye's He's a LW/C) means Gaborik probably won't be traded.

But when its all said and done If Gaborik could be moved for 1 good 2 way Center like a B.Schenn or a good Callahan style speedy Pwr Fwd like a Simmonds that would give the cap space needed to re up the key corps that helped the team to its current winning ways during Marian's injury streak earlier in the season.

Dubinsky---Anisimov--Callahan(All Core yes Anisimov too)

Kreider(almost ready needs more muscle)-Stepan-Weise(Weise is underrated in many ways--he's not just a grinder he's got "it".

Avery-Boyle-Prust(MaXiMuM Annoyance -Boyle is the 1 keeper here since 6'7 power Centers that can net 20+goals are pretty rare heck Hanzal, Handzus, Boyle...go ahead name 3 more...you get my point
Although Avery is skilled and a master agitator at times he's also too injury prone for my taste so he's not really "Core" until he puts up back to back 70 game season w/ at least say 30 pts/100pims
PRUST has some good untapped upside

Fedotenko/Prospal-Drury/White-Christensen/Gaborik

Honestly pick any 1 at each position and mix them together if you like...Gaborik plays ok w/ every line up above but would be maximized when playing w/ a speed Power Center that had strong puck control...Anisimov has the skill but the Acceleration isn't really there yet and he's very thin @ 6'4/207(I asked him last month his weight and it dropped a bit since the summer when he was working out which is normal)

For that Dynamite 4th line I'd like to see the team either get Grachev or Werek or Dubinsky playing @ Center and keep the other lines w/ their current mix. Put Prospal/Drury @ LW on 1 line and it could work out nicely.

Only player that really seems intriguing despite his hi cap hit is Ottawa's Mike Fisher...recently married to a musician who's traveling to or through the NYC area frequently(she's in town now)
Fisher has Dubinsky's exact build but a bit more squat and Dubinsky has more puck control skill and shooting finesse to go along with an extra 10lbs of muscle but @ 6'1/214 Fisher isn't small and he's durable and a consistent 20 goal Energizer who also leads in the Takeaway/ to Giveaway / shot blocking/ Hitting and Faceoff dept like Callahan...

I'd Imagine that players like Prospal would take a pay cut to stay in NYR while Frolov, etc won't so that's why I didn't even mention anything but who knows what will be

I'd love to see

Staal--Gilroy but somehow Gilroy's puckrushing isn't being focused on

Rather Staal's complete game is being focused on and since Girardi really isn't a top 3 Defender despite his strong all around play
we see Girardi here and not Gilroy
(Staal could easily crack say the Wings Def top 6 Girardi wouldn't because of a lack of speed/muscle/skill/ etc his grit and effort level are at full throttle for most of his shifts and is very valuable so he gets lots of time from a coach that emphasizes that and this makes his stat totals look nice(#1 in shot blocks) but don't always develop the rest of the team fully as it could
Del Zotto is a good #2 Defender now that needs a veteran partner to match his speed and balance out his youth

As for the remainder of the Defenders...Kundratek, McIlrath,in 2 yrs
and next year for Valentenko/ McDonagh

Gilroy/Eminger have their deals end this year so they have to shine to really get attention or resign on the cheap to stay w/ a winning NYR.

M.Sauer is great when fully healthy but that's up to him...a good #4 or an avg #5 depending on his partner and how his skating improves.

As for Hagelin...we'll see if he's Lauri Korpikoski v.2.0 or is he a true Centerman that will play pivot exclusively instead of LW...that's the question

the holes on the team seem to be
#1 elite Right shooting Defender

#1 Power Center(it could've been Dubinsky but he's a LW for now)
and I know that people are saying that LW is a need but w/ Werek/ Kreider/Hagelin/Boogard

and Callahan/Weise/Prust/Avery/

the team seems fairly set

2 strong trades for 1 more power center or Hi speed Power Winger(not Penner)

and 1 vet Right shooting Defender w/ some size(think of a younger Adam Foote type of player) Montador or maybe Matt.Greene but really there aren't many that are ready.

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote