Thread: News Article: Tom Renney takes blame
View Single Post
Old
12-26-2010, 02:20 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Any decent manager doesn't micromanage, they hire people around them them to do all the work and they do very little themselves. I'd expect Glen Sather, the General Manager, operates the same way, with the exception of maybe contract negotiations and UFA signings, though I truly don't know. I'd assume, he'd run his business like most are run, where he designates decision makers to make decisions and in the end, he's responsible for that decision, but he gets to fire people.

It's my belief that when Tom Renney was the senior scout then Director of Player Personnel with the Rangers he would have had a large influence in the decision making process in drafting, prospect acquisition and player development. 2003 was a golden draft and a huge opportunity. 2004 was the great purge and the organization was looking to rebuild with a youth movement. The Director of player personnel would have been the person to set the tone for developing that youth and would have had a very large role to play. The number of players that Renney (and Maloney) turned out were few and the organization suffered as a result signing over priced under performing vets. I'm not a fan of Renney's, so I guess there will always be those who like Renney and those who don't.

So far, Gordie Clark has my respect and IMO the guy really seems to know what he's doing.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote