Thread: Pond Care
View Single Post
12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
So this winter is my first playing the great game of ice hockey!
My town has a few ponds that no one seems to care about so I've been skating on them and it's been a real blast. Can't believe I've never done it before. The ice is getting pretty crummy. This is a really amateur question but what's the best way to go about refreshing the ice?
I read somehwere a hole in the center and a pump to flood it?
The pond I mainly use is roughly 40'X100'
Thanks and happy holidays!
wow!!! good size rink and awesome to see you have the place to play. as for care, your idea sounds good, but i would suggest putting a hole in an area off of the playing surface. getting the whole surface covered with a layer of water will help, keeping the water depth as low as possible to keep from getting any hollow spots in the ice.
if you have a pump, can hook up a garden hose, and the temp is low enough, spraying the rink with a nozzle will help,too. start at one end of the surface and go back and forth over the whole thing until the whole surface has just enough water to cover the rough spot. it might take a few times to do this, and you might have to work on certain areas of the surface one at a time, but eventually, it will get smooth again.
i would also suggest building a rink rake and doing the ice maintenence frequently so the surface doesnt get to a crappy point in the future.

tomsteve is offline   Reply With Quote