View Single Post
Old
12-26-2010, 07:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I love when people spew out facts that aren't factual. Detroit won the back to back cups in 96-97 and 97-98 with one of the most effective checking lines in playoff history....Joey Kocur-Kris Draper-Kirk Maltby. Kocur is known as probably one of the top 5-10 toughest NHL players of all time. Kocur is also known as being one of the most feared fighters. Martin Lapointe was in the mix at forward for the 90's and Bob Rouse, Aaron Ward, and Jamie Pushor were part of there defense as well. The 01-02 Red Wings had Darren McCarty in his prime who replaced the then retired Kocur when they won the Cup.

The Ducks, when they won, played Brad May and Scott Thornton in most of the playoff games, Travis Moen played in every game and Parros in a few. The defense also had Pronger, Beauchemin, O'Donnell....all guys who played every one of the 21 games.

When Tampa won the Cup, Chris Dingman played all 23 playoff games and a Andre Roy played 21. They also had a real gritty defense of Pratt, Sarich, and Cullimore, who were in there prime.
Not to mention that pre bench clearing brawl rule changes *everyone* fought. Period. So when 99 won his first cup he was flat out playing in a league that fighting was an intrinsic part of and a common thing.

To go farther back would Bobby Orr be number 4 Bobby Orr without an entire team of hard fighting players to protect him?

The game has and is continuing to change but one thing is starting to look more and more certain to me and that is that since fighting has been watered down head injuries have increased in their severity and frequency. Seems weird but it is true.

On Westgarth, he is a rookie. He makes rookie mistakes. His game is very similar to a few other legitimate heavy weights who can still play the game when they where rookies.

I see McSorely's name brought up allot and I think that people tend to forget what his game looked like when he broke in with the Penguins. It took him time to become the player that he was at the end. Parros looked pretty awful at first too, just give Westgarth time to adjust and he will prove himself.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote