View Single Post
Old
06-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Keep Kasparaitis. He's pretty much the only veteran presence on our blueline. His energy and effort could be a big asset to some of our younger Russian d-man prospects, namely Tyutin and Kondratiev. Plus, I dont think anybody really wants to start the season with Tom Poti being the veteran on defense.

As for Holik, I would agree that he serves little purpose on a rebuilding team, especially with his tendencies to speak his mind and criticize. But ideally, I would hold on to him at least for the start of the season, then try to trade him at the deadline for picks/prospects in hopes of continuing the firesale/rebuilding process. Problem is would anybody take on his hefty contract under the new CBA? We may have to find a way to restructure his contract, or buy him out and then re-sign him at a cheaper price.
We may be able to get Holik to restructure his contract--he may be willing just to get away from the Ranges--but, according to the article, it said that teams would be prohibited from buying out players and then re-signing them to a more cap friendly contract. It makes sense too--this is about leveling the playing field between the rich teams and the not so rich teams. Allowing a loophole like that does not fit at all.