View Single Post
Old
12-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
I think he is absolutely right about guys showing more personality. I've only covered the NHL for a short while and while I think the players are more available to the press there are still a lot of guys who are bland, often intentionally so.

It's refreshing to have guys who listen to and actually address questions, even if sometimes their response is flippant or kind of snarky. You also like guys that critical and specific. I don't look for anything sensational, I don't want professional wrestling, but I also don't want a mouthful of cliches.

Before this I spent some time around the NBA and college basketball. The NBA guys are colorful on their own but insanely boring with the media in most cases. I love guys like Steve Nash and Rasheed Wallace who are real personalities.

Pronger is like Wallace in *some* ways, very different backgrounds obviously. I have only met him once (last year during the Finals) and was looking forward to the Flyers' trip here but I doubt he will be traveling with the Flyers now. I know a couple people who have covered him regularly, one guy laughs at all his jokes and laughs off his BS, another veteran reporter I know stops a little short of hating his guts.
Couldn't agree more. Though I would argue that the NHL is taking steps by doing the 24/7 Series. That show people a side of hockey they never get to see.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote