View Single Post
Old
12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I think once Martinez either improves or is replaced by a better prospect, it will be the best defensive core in Kings history. I'd have Martinez over Drewiske right now, and once Mitchell comes back Martinez will be our "weak spot." That's awesome.

As far as goaltending, I never got to see Vachon play but his name is in the rafters so I'm guessing he'd be the best goalie right now. However, the way Quick has played the last few years is just plain exciting, not to mention Bernier emerging as a solid back-up with a ton of potential. I'd say this is a big question mark right now as far as who the best goaltending duo ever was.
I would like to address your first two points.

First of all, I like Martinez. He hustles, he has good ice sense, and he doesn't make mistakes (consistently...there have been a couple of gaffs but it didn't hurt us).

If he is our "weakest link," we will definitely be in great shape.

Rogie Vachon was un-****ing believable. Yes, there is a reason why his jersey is retired and hanging in the raftors. I had the privilege of seeing him play personally and the guy was born to be a goalie. He won the Vezina trophy in 1967-68 with the Canadiens and (IMO) should have won it more times through the 1970s but unfortunately too many Eastern GMs voted for their guys in Montreal and Philadelphia...a case could have really been made for Vachon during the 1974-75 season when the Kings ended up in fourth in the league with 105 points, but he was still passed over.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote