View Single Post
Old
12-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
This is a huge problem for me. Sports are full of roll players and while I get that, Trotz needs to have higher expectations from the guys on this team. If all he expects from Smithson is to win faceoffs, play the PK and be a defensive shutdown guy, he needs to go. You have to put more expectations on guys to have a winning franchise. If doesn't challenge Smithson, or any guy on this team to be more well rounded players, this will be the result. When a few guys get injured, other guys can't pick up what's lost because all they know is their roll.

Legwand should be expected to more offensive while continuing his defensive roll.

Weber and Suter should be expected to provide more offense in addition to their solid defensive game.

Spaling, Smithson and Ward need to learn to finish in addition to being able to grind and play defensively.

I'd go on and on but you get the point. Once again, I understand roll players but their games need to be more well rounded and Smithson has no business being on the ice other than as a penalty killer and occasional grinder. And when you're down two goals in a game, why is your grinder line out with about 2 and a half minutes to go? Poor freaking Wilson is all I can say.
That has been my point the past week. Players are being asked to step up and fill bigger roles, they are working hard and taking care of the defensive end of the ice, they're even creating chances at the offensive end. The problem is they aren't finishing those chances and as a result guys are gripping their sticks too tight and guys up and down the lineup are trying to force things and attempt things that are above their skill level when the focus should be on simplifying things.

Trotz has few choices. Last night he had even fewer when Legwand wasn't able to go and Trotz was forced to dress Belak on top of a guy making his NHL debut that hasn't practiced with the team before. Unfortunately, when there's less than five minutes to go in the game and you've been playing with just 10 skaters for most of the game, guys like Smithson are going to be asked to take a shift...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote