View Single Post
Old
12-30-2010, 12:54 AM
melfunction

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't know if I would say it was "likely" it's possible yes I don't know if likely fits here though.
Yup I totally should've used "possible" or "there's a chance". That sentence comes off as speculative and disrespectful. First post, though. Learning curve?

The point I meant to make with that paragraph, though, was that one can't assume that simply because the NHL has drug testing that it was definitely only alcohol that Tootoo had a problem with. And one can't assume that it was completely out of his own accord. For a 27 year old millionaire to admit he has a problem, something has to be terribly wrong. And whether that was an ultimatum that the NHL gave him, a preemptive maneuver to avoid a failed drug test, things going downhill fast in his personal life, or something else entirely, the NHL is the type of organization to put a PR-friendly spin on things like this. I'm not saying that Tootoo isn't heroic for admitting his problem, just that I think it's probable that he didn't come to that realization all on his own.

And of course in trying to say that certain things can't be assumed, I ended up sounding even more presumptuous!

But anyway. None of that is really relevant. I'm just happy he's getting help, and so young too! He could get all straightened out and have a whole decade of promising hockey ahead of him!

melfunction is offline   Reply With Quote