View Single Post
Old
10-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Gomez outscored Comrie by 4 points in 11 more games playing on a team that won the Stanley Cup.

I would not make this trade if I was the Oilers. I have long believed that Gomez is one of the more overrated player in the league. He is a useful player when in the right system (like the Devils) but I hardly think he is a unique talent like Comrie can be.
I can't say I understand this. If anything, Gomez really hasn't been a good fit in Burn's stifling defensive system, and is really one of the ugly ducklings on the Devils. Putting him on a fast-skating, hard-forechecking team like Edmonton would be a pretty good way to return him back into the 70-point range. The guy is extremely gifted offensively.

Personally, I think his trade value is much higher than Comrie's, if only because of his perception as a problem child (Comrie's, I mean). I think his situation really mirrors that of Marc Savard...I remember there were quite a few posters here, me included, who thought Savard could fetch Gomez back when Button was shopping him, but we all saw how that turned out.