Thread: Waived: Ryan Parent
View Single Post
Old
12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Alex87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
IMO, his big problem is not that he's not been able to have a top 4 role or top minutes, it's that he handles the puck like a hand granade in his own zone and has major confidence issues. Putting him out there for 25 minutes a night to get eaten alive is not going to help him - the kid will absolutely implode.

I think you guys take him though (I hope you don't, we need the depth considering our history of injuries on D). At worst, he's a good stopgap for a month or so until someone better is available. But at this point in his career, Parent really needs to play significant time in the minors to get his career back on track and get some confidence. He doesn't look anything like a shutdown d-man - he looks like a guy you put out there to eat 10 minutes a game and pray he doesn't make a mistake.
I don't disagree with you, but maybe there's another side to the coin. Most of the fans in Edmonton are being extremely lenient on the team this year. We were told it was going to be a rebuild and, generally speaking, we've kept our expectations in check. We begrudgingly accept poor performances from certain players, whereas if this was 05/06 they would be run out of town. For example, Cory Cross wasn't much worse than Strudwick, but he got boo'd mercilessly until he was finally traded.

So maybe Parent could benefit from playing on a team where he'd get minutes and be given some leash to make mistakes. The Oilers really have nothing to lose.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote