Thread: Waived: Ryan Parent
View Single Post
Old
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Red

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
I don't disagree with you, but maybe there's another side to the coin. Most of the fans in Edmonton are being extremely lenient on the team this year. We were told it was going to be a rebuild and, generally speaking, we've kept our expectations in check. We begrudgingly accept poor performances from certain players, whereas if this was 05/06 they would be run out of town. For example, Cory Cross wasn't much worse than Strudwick, but he got boo'd mercilessly until he was finally traded.

So maybe Parent could benefit from playing on a team where he'd get minutes and be given some leash to make mistakes. The Oilers really have nothing to lose.
Oh agree completely, that's why I think you guys will pick him up and it would be a good move. As I said, at absolutely worst he's a 1-2 month stopgap that you then again waive if he doesn't work out.

I do however think playing him over 20 minutes a game is a bad idea under any circumstance. He has zero ability or confidence with the puck anywhere near him and I really don't think giving him 25 minutes a game where he will be burned consistently is a good idea for Parent. Give him 3rd pairing minutes (14-15 minutes a game) and a long leash to make mistakes and I think under those circumstances, he could actually develop as a player in Edmonton. No reason to throw him into a role he is nowhere close to ready or capable for, even if he is better than Strudwick. He's still young and I think you develop him better by shielding him rather than throwing him to the wolves is all I was saying.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote