View Single Post
Old
10-08-2003, 12:37 PM
PigeonCamera

vCash: 500
I couldn't disagree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
I don't agree that publicly dressing down athletes in sports is either common or effective. Management, Coaches, Players, Owners, whomever when critical of a team usually address the team as a whole. They rarely ever point at one player and say, he was terrible. Some exceptions are Bobby Clarke, George Steinbrenner but does the Oiler management want to be in the same breath as these two?

As for effectiveness I have one simple question. If you are an employee or an employer what is a better way of communicating your desire for improvement. Announcing in the coffee room,in front of everyone, that so and so needs to be more productive or taking that person in your office and telling them privately that you expect more.

Never mind how much they make or that the should have thick skin, the point is criticism should be handled internally. Telling everyone in town how dissapointed he was in York, Smyth, Salo and Comrie was a BAD move on Lowe's part as was bad mouthing Carter after he traded him. If he keeps this up we'll have no players who are happy to be drafted or traded to this organization.
Its called accountability. It happens all the time in sport, and "grown-up" players uses it as motivation. Slats used to do it all the time with *many* of the great Oilers, let alone cocky future stars.

I can sympathize with the idea of having to live in a fishbowl. It would suck, and while I don't agree with his stance, I can at least respect that. But if this is all about Comrie being upset over being held accountable publicly, it literally makes me sick. Grow the hell up! If Comrie doesn't want to be in the spotlight, he sure made a poor career choice. And he sure as heck doesn't mind when the public and the media are fawning over him!

Just pathetic. The perception is: the first time he doesn't get his way, he takes his ball and goes home. I sure hope its not true.

:mad: