View Single Post
Old
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I see no reason why he would. No matter who he signs with, he will be subject to the entry level system, and his prospects for making an NHL roster are probably better if he is there from day 1.

The only reason for him not to sign is if he didn't want to play in NY for some reason, but I can't see that being the case.
A couple of things I'd like to add on:

-Since he's subject to the ELC, the Rangers can and if need be will throw max money at him.

-This is Hagelin's 4th year in the US, his English is flawless, and he's a smart kid. Without a doubt, he'll look at the organization and the opportunities available in the system and make a decision from there.

-Hagelin is a Torts' style player. Defensively responsible, can play in all situations, shows up every night, makes people around him better, is a team leader.

-While there are other Swedes in the system, there's also college players Hagelin has played against: McD, Step, Baldwin, Cam Talbot, Chad Johnson.

-The roster turnover next year will give Hagelin ample opportunity to crack the lineup. Gone in the left wing department are Prospal, Frolov, Feds. This leaves the Rangers with only 2 LWs in Avery and Dubi.

-For those who think Kreider will be on the Rangers roster all of next year, they're sadly mistaken. It's not a forgone conclusion he'll sign; if he does he needs to make the team and he'll have to deal with the exact same conditioning issues college players typically deal with when making the jump to 82 games a season instead of 40-45.

-Finally, Hagelin will have the opportunity to show how he's been successful at Michigan during training camp. He's a do-it-all guy with excellent passing skills, he's going to turn heads during camp without a doubt.

If he doesn't sign, it's because he doesn't want to play for the New York Rangers, not because he'll be paid better by another team.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote