View Single Post
Old
01-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Jester, ... You are aware that the Perfect Game was earlier in the season that the no hitter was actually one bad full count ball away from the chance to be perfect... aren't you?
Yes, I corrected myself.

Quote:
... My point with the sweeps verses the 0-3 comeback four straight is that usually the team up four games to none is a better team... rarely does an inferior, or even an even team, go up four games to none... So coming back four games rather than taking four games from the outset is a matter of beating a team that just handed you your ass on a silver platter over three games... one at least on your home ice.

To me it is much more than merely four games in a row at any juncture... and that is taking into account that the opportunity is not as often, which to me goes prove the point that it is harder and more meaningful.
Yeah, exactly... Boston wasn't better than us. And they were notably weaker than us after the injury to Krejci in Game 3.

Game 1: OT loss
Game 2: 3-2 loss
Game 3: 4-1 loss where it could be argued that we were the better team, and they lost their best forward.

While it is surprising that we were down 3-0 and then managed to comeback and win, that wasn't a series like most 3-0 series. Whatever the number of cases where teams were down 3-0, you can probably cut it in half (at least) to arrive at teams that had a reasonable chance of winning 4-0 against their opposition (Flyers against Boston being one of those series).

A notable achievement... but the rarity of it needs to have a bit more perspective put on it. Every single time a pitcher takes the bump he has the opportunity to pitch a no-hitter... in the history of MLB playoffs, it has only happened twice.

Now, whether you want to celebrate the rarity of what you witness as a fan, or the overall meaning is something to discuss here. Without a doubt, a playoff no-hitter is a more remarkable thing to witness (and it isn't close). However, a single game does not win a series... 4 in a row does, and that has more meaning to the team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote