View Single Post
Old
06-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Kubera55

vCash: 500
With three years remaining at 6.6 million per, the buy out on Holik is 2/3's of about $20 million. That's around $13-14 million as a lump sum payment to a guy who is gone, and it'll cost a few million more to replace his position in the line-up. (Make no mistake, the Rangers are in crying need of forwards. Nylander and Jagr are the only two proven NHL forwards in the entire organization.)

That's a lot of money spent, and it's a lot of money spent that doesn't make the team any better. (Yeah, Holik's personality is toxic, but his skills are undeniable. Losing him is not addition-by-subtraction).

So why is Holik suddenly so concillatory? Because he knows he's not getting his money back. If Holik get's bought out at say $14 million and loses the final three years of his deal (currently worth $20 million) he loses $6 million over that three years. Anyone certain that the 'new' NHL market will award a three year $2 million/per deal to a 34 year old 50-pt a year center with an attitude problem? I'm sure not.

I'd think about buying him out. But only after I'd seen a few new contracts signed under the new rules. If the Rangers are just going to have to replace him with a lesser veteran, I'd just as soon keep him.