View Single Post
Old
01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
frito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
That brings to mind another question, do the rest of you assign positions at this age or dress goalies? We split our team into two groups and play one as forward and switch them every 4-6 weeks with the defenceman taking turns at goal rotating shift by shift (no goal pads, just a goalie stick). We are considering assigning positions at the end of the year based on where they have played best and playing a tournament or two like that. Hope you don't mind the hijack OP.
I think it is way too young to define positions at this age. The kids are just learning how to skate, stickhandle, pass and shoot. The last thing they need to consider is being pigeonholed into a position for the rest of they playing "careers". We rotate positions every game. Every kid that wants to play goalie gets a chance to play goalie. We have a different goalie each game. There is way too much emphasis on position and systems at an early age. At this age the focus should be about skills. The systems should not be a focus until they have the proper skills to execute the systems.

Heck, I am currently coaching a bantam house team. Over 1/4 of the team is new to hockey this season. Since I have so many new players I am even moving them around at this age in hopes I can find a decent mix by the end of the season. It also helps them understand how to better play or defend against a position if they have actually played it.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote