View Single Post
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered User
Steelhead16's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I already play hockey. I'm thinking that learning figure skating could help me improve.
If you can manage the cost I would recommend taking lessons from a figure skating instructor. Power skating clinics are all well and good but not usually readily availible. A figure skating instructor will give you all the same power skating instruction as a clinic but one on one you will learn much faster. Figure skaters skate with much more powerful strides than hockey players and you will learn to skate with power on your crossovers. You will also learn to use your edges as well and transition from forwards to backwards. You probably don't need to be lighter on your feet but more powerful on your skates instead. With 3 or 4 half hour lessons and some work on your part you should see huge improvement.
Props to you for having the stones to even think about doing it. Most hockey players wouldn't even consider it.

And don't do this in figure skates, just do it in your hockey skates. A good figure skating instructor will be plenty familiar with how to skate in them and what you are trying to do. They won't teach you to spin and jump. Good luck.

Last edited by Steelhead16: 01-02-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote