View Single Post
Old
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
90-91 was The Kings best and deepest team. Take the 92-93 team mentioned above and add Duschene and Robinson on D.

Add Elik and The friendly ghost up front.

People often forget that Gretz was hurt for most of the 92-93 season and Luuuuuuuuuuuuuc wore the C most of the year

Edit- Webster was also 10x the coach Melrose was
I'd have to agree here. While there is sentimental value with the 92-93 Kings simply because they reached the playoffs and did have a very balanced lineup, the 90-91 team was stocked and loaded, as evidenced by their division title in a very tough Smythe division.

They finished 3rd overall with 340 GF and 4th overall with 254 GA and the 6th best PP and PK in the NHL. They were also the 3rd best team in the entire NHL with a .638 winning percentage.

That Kings team had three players hit 40+ goals (Robitaille, Sandstrom and Gretzky) and five others who reached 30-20+ goals (Granato, Taylor, Kudelski, Duchesne and Elik).

The defense was also very productive with Duchesne scoring 62 points, a rookie Rob Blake with 46 points, Marty McSorley with 39 points and Brian Benning with 31 points.

They also had one of the toughest teams in the league with McSorley, Miller, Buskas and an early season acquisition, John McIntyre.

Here's what the lineup looked like for 90-91 to the best of my recollection (do note I was only 9 then)...

Granato-Gretzky-Sandstrom
Robitaille-Elik-Kudelski
Tonnelli-Kasper-Taylor
Donnelly-McIntyre-Miller

Duchesne-Blake
Benning-Robinson
Watters-McSorley

Hrudey-Berthiaume

Scratches: Jones, Watters, Buskas, Halkidis

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote