View Single Post
Old
01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, their team SVPCT is .888... if Roloson can get 'em over .900 that will help the differential considerably. Their D is not great, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be... and comparable to us a couple years back, they can outscore their shortcomings back there. However, Hedman is just going to get better with time.

They have killer special teams, however (which is dangerous for us given how we like to take penalties). They also have a scary top 6 if they can ever get 'em healthy and playing well.
I definitely agree that people underrate Tampa's defense (I'm guessing because it lacks a true number one and big names), but it still can't hold a candle to the defense of some of the top playoff teams.

They're definitely a team that can cause some noise in the playoffs and I wouldn't want to face 'em in the first round, but I can't see them being a legitimate threat for the Cup. Negative goal differential and they don't stand out in any area except their top six and PP. Their goaltending is pretty mediocre even assuming that a 41 year old Roloson can handle a true starter's workload, that defense isn't anything special and can't hold up to the defenses of the better playoff teams out there, and I can't remember anything that makes their forward depth beyond their top six special.

They're a scary team to face, but they just seem like pretenders to me. A team capable of making some noise, but not winning it all.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote