View Single Post
Old
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
johnny1976

vCash: 500
I am in my second year as a mite coach. In our district they limit our mite teams to 15 full ice games and as many cross ice games as you want. However the cross ice game are usally 3 on 3 or 4 on 4. I was one of those that were against it when it was first brought to us. I have since changed my mind. When it comes to the better skaters out there they just skate around everyone and don't or can't learn how to pass because no one can keep up with them. In cross ice games they have to learn how to skate and pass better and the better skaters out there can't just skate around everyone because of the tight space.

We had one player last year that was scoring 6-9 goals a game because nobody could keep up with him. He got put in a show case league in the spring after the season was over. I talked with his dad and he said his son almost quit hockey because everyone was more skilled than he was and he didn't score as much.

I think the cross ice is really good because half way through the season kids start to get bored doing drills and this gives them the fun to just go out there and play.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote