View Single Post
Old
01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
I'm failing to understand the disconnect here. The prospect pool of an organization has NOTHING to do with the pro scouting department. If the position is that a deeper prospect pool allows for more activity by the GM (i.e. trades based on recommendations of the pro scouts) it still does not correlate to the quality level of the pro scouts. It would mean chances are you have busier pro scouts (in terms of trades for NHL players)...but that's about it. A quality pro scouting organization will identify players like Rich Peverly on the waiver wire and identify that he, in the right role, can be a very solid NHL player. Good pro scouts would be able to identify players that are not producing in their current environment and know if they were brought into the new organization and played in the proper role they would thrive.
I'm talking about the perception fans who actually don't know anything about the internal affairs of a hockey team. That's all.

Our pro scouts brought in a career AHLer we turned into a serviceable bottom pairing defensemen that wins fights. Our pro scouts identified Cullen and Sutton at the deadline last year and they both made impacts. Campoli was a fine pick up for a 25-30 pick...I doubt they anticipated getting a star out of him...but he's been fine. Kuba was fine until he spent most of the last two years injured. Michalek was a very good player in San Jose but he's been hurt again on the knee and is being put on the wing he is less comfortable here....everyone was handcuffed in the Heatley deal. Hell, that Edmonton deal would have looked great at this point.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote