Thread: Salary Cap: Gauthier at the Trade Deadline
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I agree that a little patience is required and Gauthier has made some nice moves to improve the team but we need one more year to really solidify the roster. If he can do that through free agent signings, prospects moving up, off season trades and addition by subtraction (Hal Gill) THEN he can look at picking up that last missing piece at NEXT YEAR's deadline (and maybe overpaying for it).

Overpaying this year would be a huge mistake. I think we have just a few too many holes to fill, and in trying to go for it all, we would fall short AND further jeopardize our chances next year.

I am long term optimistic and short term realistic if Gauthier pursues this route.
I agree with the people saying this isn't our year and that we shouldn't get a rental. But where I find a lot of people go wrong is their assumption that a deadline deal can't be one made for the future of the team.

What if Calgary trades us Iginla at the deadline and he rocks on our team? Maybe it won't help us this year but we can plug the holes in July and then have one hell of a team. You can't just assume a deal done this year or at deadline is done purely for this year. Wis will be re-signed and was nabbed for a reason. If we make a trade make no mistake it won't be because we're making a push for the cup, don't get me wrong every playoff team is trying to win, but it will be more of a future move than anything.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote