View Single Post
Old
01-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The way Malkin is considered now reminds me of the Alexei Yashin was considered prior to leaving Ottawa. Scoring 94 points and 88 points in the dead puck era in 1998-1999 and 2000-2001. He was bar none at the time one of the rising stars of the league and widely considered one of the most talented players in the game, but his disinterest eventually claimed his talent.

I think the signs of disinterest are already culminating in Malkin and his tangible production seems to hash that out. There is no reason a player as talented as Malkin that gets to play on the same powerplay as Sidney Crosby should be putting up such pedestrian numbers.

I wouldn't touch this trade with a 10 foot pole. I would be shocked if Malkin is still in the discussion as one of the best in the game in five years.
Malkin has 13 PP points, 3 fewer than Crosby, and has played 5 fewer games. That's as many as Getzlaf and more than Kopitar, despite playing on a worse PP (in case you feel like paying attention to the actual numbers, instead of just looking at one player). The Pens PP also happens to be worse than the Canes' PP, where Staal has exactly one more PP point in 3 more games.

Further, Malkin has been injured the last year and a half and played with a rotating cast of such scoring sensations as Fedotenko, Dupuis, Cooke, and Talbot at even-strength.

EDIT: Ovechkin also has only 14 PP points.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 01-05-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote