View Single Post
Old
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
roseyc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Wow - not sure what you want outta' a "shut-down Dman" that Suter isn't - except he's not a beast. Then again, that Lidstrom guy has not only been effective on O but D, too, for a long time and he's not a beast, so..... Suter owned Nash Sunday, and that's not the first time he has absolutely shut-down a key F or controlled the D zone against a good line. He's grown into that role and doing it well.

As for breaking Suter/Weber pairing up, couple reasons you don't. 1) Weber just isn't as effective without Suter. We might try him with Klein, but that really doesn't accomplish what you're suggesting. Suter makes Weber better, plain and simple. 2) We have 3 3rd pairing Dmen, so I'm not sure you really make the other pairings any better. Goes with my point about pairing Klein with Weber (which is the only pairing Trotz didn't try while Suter was out) - why do that instead of Suter? Anyhow, busting them up, you'd basically have each of Suter, Weber, and Klein paired with a guy who should be playing 3rd pair minutes - what good is that? If we had another 2nd pair guy, then maybe it would make sense - you could juggle and make all the pairings better with only a slight decline in your first pair, or you could make 2 "one-and-a-half" pairings and leave your third alone.

We can let Weber go and compete; not suggesting we should, but we could. Not sure we could do the same right now with Suter. Down the line maybe - assuming 1 of Blum/Ellis/Josi grows into the guy we expect
I think Suter and Weber are great enough to be split up. Klein and Franson need help so that they can develop. With Suter and Weber as their pair they are not apprehensive and just develop. This doesn't mean you can't put them back together at times and they will be together on the pp. I think Suter alone can develop even more take on more leadership become more offensive especially with Klein laying back. Weber and Suter are special because if they have both defensive and offensive skills. If they concentrated on just one side they would stand out even greater if that possible. The best players on this team are Weber and Suter and Rinne and the coaching is not utilizing them(W&S) to fullest of their potential.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote