View Single Post
Old
01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post
I was the one that made that comment. Jack Falla reported twenty years ago that the average bench, I think it was 1988, of NHLers was 275. What do you think it might be now with the advances in athletic and weight training we've had? It certainly hasn't dropped.

I'll give you a little example. I weigh 165 pounds or so, am over 40 years old and bench about 250. I'm really not very strong for a grown man as I'm smaller than your average adult male. One of the guys I work out with occasionally is in his late 20's, about 6'2" and 215 lbs. He puts up 315 without breaking much of a sweat. NHL teams are full of these types.

Let's look at the Bruins per Briere's comments regarding there wouldn't be three players on any team that could bench 300. Off the top of my hand I can think of Milan Lucic at 6'4" and 220 lbs, Chara at 6'9" and 255-260, Boychuk at 6'2" and 225 and Nathan Horton at 6'2" and 230. Oh, and maybe Thornton at 6'2" and 217, Mark Stuart is around 215 I believe. I'd guess each of these fellas benches MORE than 300. If you think they're struggling to put up 250 you're delusional or simply not aware of how strong professional athletes are, not to mention 200 pound men in general(approximately the average weight of NHL players).

Yes, there are many strong women. But no women are going to play in the NHL or other minor leagues for that matter except maybe a goalie. You can dismiss ten of thousands of years of genetics all you want but it won't put a woman in a professional hockey unifrom for more than a marketing ploy.
Again,

You are absolutely DEAD WRONG.

When NHL players bench, they don't bench for max, and they don't bench to get the pretty pectoral muscles that most guys think they have to have.

They bench for endurance, there is a reason why the NHL combine have the rookies bench set at 150 and they count the number of reps they do, not the max weight.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote