View Single Post
Old
01-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Boardish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Hey guys. I'm currently in my 2nd semester of college, and I'll be moving into French 102.

What would you guys say is the best way to learn French, especially Quebecois French? (is it even that different?) I know nothing comes easy, I just want it to be proficient. I got a B+ in my French 101 class, but I feel like I don't know much more than I did heading into it except for maybe picking up a few words per sentence when reading.

I'd prefer not to spend almost $1000 on software, but if that Rosetta Stone type stuff is good then I guess I'll go for that.
Rosetta Stone is not really good to be honest. You will learn words, but won't be able to do a sentance that makes sense. It might be different for French (it's my native language, so didn't try the french software obviously), but for the other languages I learned it wasn't efficient. Like everything in this world, you can get it for free if you know where to look.

Best way (by yourself) would be I guess to get yourself a workbook and work hard. Listening to French TV/movies, reading french too. You could also get something like Pilsmeur (audio files) and listen to it in your car. Travel to French speaking countries.

It's hard to learn a language when you are not really motivated (like everything else I guess).

Quebecois French is probably as different from France as is US English from England.

Last edited by Boardish: 03-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote