Thread: JR rips fans
View Single Post
Old
06-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Laches

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Come on Laches, you took that quote out of context. JR was referring to one type of fan who wants to stick it to every professional athlete because he (or she) can't live that dream. He's not talking about the fan that cares for the game, who goes to pre-season games to see the prospects, who goes to meaningless interleague games even though there's a foot of snow on the ground and he's certainly not talking about the fans who cheered him when he got up off the ice after taking a puck to the face at the Garden.

He's got a big mouth, but today he spoke the truth.
---If, in your view, he spoke the truth, that there are only certain types of fans he wants in attendance, then he's even more of an idiot than I thought. The number of fans you described can be counted on one hand in the majority of most US markets. The NHL was having trouble filling buildings, and drawing worse TV ratings than Turkish wrestling at 2am on ESPN2. I guess I'm not really seeing where the NHLPA is in a position to be selective about which fans they do and do not want in attendance at games, nowuddimeen?

(And as for context, I linked the full article.)