Thread: Injury Report: Josh Gorges DONE FOR THE YEAR!
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
I have to say I was really impressed how well the defense came together in last night's game against the Pens. Subban, Weber, Wisniewski, Gill, Spacek all played well and made simple plays 1 pass, then up the boards, then out of the zone. They took over the second about 60/40 in the 3rd, then all us in overtime.

Picard looked like he was struggling, maybe it was because of lack of game time he has seen in the last 2 weeks. I don't know.

My point is, with Gorges officially gone, thinking he was coming back made it pointless for us to try and pick up an 8th dman, now we have a full 6. We would have to call someone up from Hamilton. I think we should possibly look at Valabik on re-entry.

The guy is 6'7 255pounds. Unlike Gill with size who is just a shutdown, Valabik players a meaner game than Gill. He hits, he fights, and he has decent skating as well. I would kind of like to have him in the lineup than Picard at the moment. The whole thing I like about it is, he is an RFA at season's end, he is only 24, and he is only half the cost coming off of re-entry.

Like someone said in the Valabik re-entry waivers post over in the trade forum. What better coach, to coach him, even though it is Martin, he did kind of help Chara get where he is today with his defensive game and such. I agree somewhat with that statement. Chara wasn't who he was now when he was 24 either, so to have Valabik come in who has Chara-ristics, it could be a win win, and he could possibly develope into an great 2 way defender, like Chara. Imagine he thrived in our system and come playoffs he was a beast. If that was the case we could focus on offense and try to save at the deadline, by not giving up too many pieces.

We really don't have anything to lose, its only 1 year and half the cost, I think 360K. If it don't work out let him walk at season's end.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote