View Single Post
Old
06-27-2005, 08:00 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
there's always going to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
But at what price did the "victory" come at? Hockey does not have nearly the fan base of baseball, and all it took for fans to come back were a decade, Sosa & Mcgwire & Ripken. Was the victory really worth coming back to a landscape in which hockey is not even the 5 most popular sport, but rather the (maybe) 8th or 10th most popular sport, behind bowling and the indoor football league?
Hockey was not popular in virtually all expansion teams. Now, after a year with no hockey, you really think those cities will thrive? Was victory really worth the loosing of major sponsors? How about the tv contract that they had?

Dedalus,

"Simple. He won. This is also why he'll still have his job while Goodenow is ushered out the door."

While I have no desire to rehash our many debates on the subject matter, I would only say that, IMO, anyone who had anything to do with the cancelation of the season, should have no part of the "new" NHL.
casualties in war.

Today the NHL has no National TV deal, with the right kind of marketing and the getting the game back on the ice, maybe another network like TBS or Fox steps up with a contract that pays equal to the last ESPN deal, but shows more games?

The NHL will have to eat a bit on the next TV contract to get their game back in the public eye, but it's a small price to pay.

No one thought that the sport could have reached the popularity that it achieved back in 1993-1994, but it did, there's alot of folks that don't believe that we can get back there now, but I believe that we can.

The inidividuals of the sport have to be marketed, guys like Ilya, Nash, Iginla, Loungo, older guard like Modano, Sakic, Sundin. All of these players have to be marketed in siimilar ways to when Mario, Mark, and Wayne were marketed 10-15 years ago.

It's a great sport, we all know it, it's just that we are now going through probably our darkest moment, but the sun is starting to shine again and while it will be a while before it gets back to being it's brightest, things can and will be done to speed that process along.

At what price did the victory come - a smaller price than what would have been paid had the league continued to do business under the old rules. The NHLPA still has 30 teams with thousands of jobs related to the NHL squads Farm Squads Scouts Trainers Arena workers office personell. Had the NHL continued along the path they were headed, maybe 4 teams fold.

I'd rather lose a season and some fan interest than watch a few hundred people lose their jobs for the sake of a fake "Free Market System" that was anything but free unit you hit 31.

I choose the lost season and a step back, then not losing a season and 5 steps back.