View Single Post
Old
01-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsOilCountry View Post
Alright guys, so an update on the game on thursday:
The game went well no big problems, except one small issue arose, a player fell behind the net and was "hurt," they weren't seriously injured so we [the other ref and I] let play continue. During this time the other team had possession, meanwhile the coach of the kid who was hurt was yelling his face off to blow the whistle due to the injured player. I waited until his team gained possession and followed with the whistle outside the zone, because they were in the attacking zone. I feel I did the right thing, but apparently I didn't according to this coach.
When reffing young kids and lower levels, always blow the whistle when a kid is down, regardless of what the rules state. I always err on the side of the kid being injured more seriously than they acts. I don't care if the other team has a scoring opportunity or not, with little kids you don't want to take a chance. If either coach gives you grief all you have to tell them is the kid appeared hurt, end of discussion. If you want a crowd to get out of hand fast, leave an injured kid on the ice and then try to calm them back down, you won't make that mistake too many times.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote