View Single Post
Old
06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
4check22

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
I think Niedermayer could very well end up in Philly, but I wouldn't presume too much on restructuring contracts. If you want a good model to follow, check out the NFL and their salary cap. You CAN restructure, but it has to be with players who have lengthy contracts because they will either take the restructured dollars in terms of bonus (which in the NFL is redistributed over the rest of the existing contract in terms of a cap hit) or they will add it on to later years (which will hamstring your team in the future). I don't know the Flyers' long-term contract situation, but if somebody is going to restructure, those would be the guys to do it.

edit: and besides, we don't know what the particulars are going to be for the new CBA. I'm just using the NFL model here because that is all we really have to go on. The owners don't want the mess of the NBA (based on comments made this past season by the NHL), and Bettman absolutely loves the NFL model (again based on comments made this season by himself and the other owners). This is all just speculation until the thing is signed, ratified and made public.