Thread: Info on Garon
View Single Post
Old
06-27-2005, 05:18 PM
jt

vCash: 500
And this is why the lockout could have been a good thing for the Kings in terms of player development. Garon played 58 games including the playoffs and he was either injured, hit a wall or isn't as good as everyone hoped. In any case, he did it with much less pressure in Manchester than he would have in LA...so that's a good thing.

But this was a terrific post:

Quote:
I'm not convinced yet that Garon is or ever will be a #1 goalie in the NHL. He might be. He might not be. There are dozens of Garons all around the league. Any goalie can steal a game and look fabulous on any given night in today's game. His game aganist LA got a lot of attention, but I guarantee you that the best night of any NHL goalie, and most AHL goalies, would have been the same. Instead, one has to base it on his overall skills and his overall ability and consistency. And so far, there's nothing there to suggest that Garon is better than the upper pack of AHL goalies or NHL backups.

People make light of the fact that he was waived with no takers a couple of years ago, but it just emphasises the goaltending situation in the NHL these days. EVERY team has at least one Garon already. Some teams have two or more. Which ones will be the next Kiprusoff? It's impossible (at least for me) to predict. With such a relatively level playing field in the goaltending position, so much hinges on chance... opportunity, the team you play behind, etc. Adam Hauser played just as well as Garon this year in Manchester. On the Oilers board, most would take Ty Conklin over Garon. That's pretty much the league situation in a nutshell. Jim Carey, Byron Dafoe, Arturs Irbe, maybe Giguere?, Turek, Lalime, etc... fame can be fleeting even at the upper end of the goaltending scale. It gets even dicier down where Garon is.