View Single Post
Old
01-08-2011, 01:18 AM
slimkay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
FOr the moment lets accept there is a single Québecois dialect (there are several, talk to someone from Montreal and then to someone from Gaspé or Abitibi) , to call it a bastardization is a misnomer.

Québecois in fact retains far closer phonetics to 16th-17th century French than modern "Standard"/International French. There's a few syntactic and other grammatical quirks its held on to as well.
That's normal, IMO. Languages do evolve at some point.

As for you OP, Int'l French will serve as foundation if QC French is what you really want to learn.

Theoretically (and I may or may not be right, but that's what I have observed over the years), most of the differences between QC and Int'l French are in the informal dialogue. When writing, grammar and syntax are mostly identical, and so is the vocabulary. The essay that I wrote during the General French Exam in CEGEP (intermediate step between HS and College in Quebec) would probably be graded in a similar fashion in France too. I think, and I am saying this as a native "Standard" (Int'l) French speaker, that most of the differences are in the way people talk in Quebec. Syntax, grammar and especially vocabulary are very different.

And... the more "Quebecois" someone speaks partly has to do with the social standing of that person. Usually, richer, more affluent Quebecers speak a rather soft Quebecois (closer to Int'l French), while the blue-collar, working class, farmers, speak a rather strong one. I guess a similar pattern is also seen in other countries.

Overall, it has more to do with the way you speak than the way you write.

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote