vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Maybe some deal could be worked out like this,

To Pittsburgh

Mike Comrie
2nd round pick

To Edmonton

Ryan Whitney or Brooks Orpik (not sure who the better prospect is)
2nd round pick (be like a late first rounder, 31st overall)
Kris Beech would even out the deal although, since he was the prime piece of the Jagr deal, I don't know how much value he has now.
Depends on whom you talk to, but I personally love Brooks Orpik. He looks like another Robyn Regehr to me. Whitney has had a tough season in the NCAA, and while he may bounce back, he might not, too.

I think the Pens would love to move Kris Beech. He makes nearly a million bucks I think. I don't know if Lowe would have much interest. Beech has shown serious lackings in the offensive skill department. I still think he'll be an NHL player, but the days when Beech was considered a 'future top 6 forward' may be long gone..

However, considering all this, the financial situation in Pittsburgh really doesn't lend itself to picking up Mike Comrie either. They've been trying to move on Martin Straka for over a year now, as their payroll (which now, I believe, hovers around $19 million) is still too high. They recently sold the land they bought near Mellon Arena in which they were going to build a new arena in, as their arena plans have seemingly fallen through. In other words - don't look for the Pens to start picking up salary, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
To be honest I don't think Morozov is that good. Ryan Whitney would interest me alot more. Don't forget he was a top 5 pick a couple of years ago. Big defensemen take longer to mature. Just look at Eric Brewer. I personally don't think the Oilers need more forwards for Comrie. I think they need another stud defensemen if at all possible.

As for this, I totally agree about Morozov. This guy is extremely overrated in my opinion. Not in the skill department, but Morozov is perhaps the most injury-prone player in the league. For Aleksey to play 60 games in a season is the equivilent of the Calgary Flames making the Western Conference Finals. Only happens once every 15 years or so.

And I agree with you on the defenseman thing, too. I think Comrie's offense will be missed, but a true two-way defenseman to compliment Brewer would be really nice. I mentioned Mattieu Dandenault a while ago, and obviously a deal could be expanded, but there's an idea at least. I do think that if you guys did get a forward back, a two-way one would be the way to go. I mentioned Damon Langkow a while ago, though that ship may have sailed when he got his $2.2 million dollar arbitration award.a