View Single Post
Old
01-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
the thing I don't get is if he had such behavior/maturity issues, how come S.Kost seems to be having no trouble "getting along" with Trotz?

By the time we traded him, it was clear that he had to go, and the fact that we got nothing in return was to be somewhat expected. But many of us could see that he had the potential to be a very solid everyday NHLer, and had trouble understanding why he so often got the short end of the stick as far as toi/roster opportunities under Martin.

is it just a matter of him smartening up and realizing he needed to dial down the attitude after being traded for waiver fodder?

or is it possible that the seemingly reoccurring issues with young players has to do with the way Martin (or perhaps the organization as a whole) handles them?

i tend to think, based on the same outside observations we are all privy to, that Martin isn't very well suited, his temperament and methods, to deal with the "modern" young NHLer. Things are always changing, but I'd argue that the experience of a kid growing up in mid-90's - now is exponentially different than the experience of kids growing up in the 70's/80's.

the internet age has vastly changed how kids experience and see the world, and being able to effectively connect with young athletes from that generation is perhaps a challenge he isn't up to meeting...

Habs brass needs to be cognizant of this, and I hope it forms a big part of his evaluation. Can't afford to let talented young players like that slip through our fingers for nothing, not in the cap era!