View Single Post
Old
01-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Model T

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
regarding iginla, I don't think the price is as high as what you think it is. I think the package would be what the thrashers got for kovalchuk or less, even, given no one knows how much hockey iginla had left. so I think a first round pick, watson, and a roster player or two like an o'reilly/klein/bouillon could get it done. not too far off compasison to bergfors, cormier, oduya, and the first atlanta recieved
How much hockey does he have left? A lot. More than you're guessing, based on the fact that you bring it up. He's in excellent shape and as committed to maintaining himself physically as anyone in the league. I expect him to stay useful until his late 30s. This is rare for power forwards, but not impossible- see Keith Tkachuk as an example.

I don't think the price would be cheaper than Kovalchuk, because Kovalchuk is lazy and bad defensively, whereas Iginla is a consummate professional who wants to help his team however he can on every night. He is one of the top character guys in the league. He is probably behind Kovalchuk on pure offensive talent, but he's better at virtually everything else.

There's also the issue that he is the face of the Flames and quite possibly a future HoFer, and moving him out will have a big cost to the team in terms of public relations and marketing revenues. From the selling side they've got to get a return that compensates them from that angle as well.
(Out of curiosity, anybody want to speculate what would bringing in a big name like Iginla would do for the Predators in terms of interest/finances? What did it do when they brought in Kariya and Forsberg in the past?)

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote