View Single Post
01-10-2011, 01:47 AM
vCash: 50
If you're not comfortable with your stick handling, I suggest getting a random piece of wood (Preferably finished) and big enough to stick handle on. The size of a cupboard door should suffice. If you live in Ottawa, then Deslaurier's might have some extra stuff like that around. Though, they could just be an office.

For about 5-10 minutes just "dribble" with the puck on it. It'll help you get a control of it, then before games practice and soon enough you'll be able to go top flight while stick handling great. Though, you could be fine with this already.

If you're going to be a winger, then your job is to watch the adjacent dman. (i.e you're right win, you watch left dman)

Personally, I find d tend to stay bout a foot inside the blue line. I like to stay about a foot and ahalf away from them, so if my d, or the centre losses a man and he gets tot he slot, I can potentially get to him in time to tie up his stick. Though, I'm not far enough away that the dman can get the pick and wire a good shot. If you have good acceleration speed, you might be able to cheat a bit more and move further down.

If you're center, it usually just consists of you shadowing the other centre. You gotta try to stay between him and the net when he doesn't have the puck and when he does get on him like glue.

In the offensive zone. If you're right wing and the right side dman pinches, or rushes the puck, you should stay back (unless it's been determined that the centre will cover for a pinching d. This has been the way on a team of mine before since I've played every position.)

If you're battling in the corner and the puck gets knocked behind the net to a teammate who has some room, go straight for the net.

If a teammate is battling in the corner and it's 1 on 1, get ready to give him an opening outlet pass from the corner. If you see one of their players go in to assist their player, then you join in. If both of your forward teammates are battling, then try to get into a position they can get you the puck to move. Whether it be on the boards between them and your d, or them and their net.

If there's a 2 on 2 going against your team and you're the next person on your team to re-enter your zone, then it's your job to take their next man. If you miss, or forget, no worries. NHL players forget this a ton. They're so focused on getting back that they forget the trailer is usually the most dangerous person.

If you plan to be a shot blocker, you'll want a good cup and shin pads. When blocking shots, try not to leave your stick on an angle if you know you can get your body in front of it, because you can deflect that into your face. Also, don't skate and lunge forward to drop on your knees. You can mess your knees up good with a shot that manages to hit your knees. I did this type of block once. Luckily the puck went higher, but the coach set me straight.

If you go to do the skate and slide block on your side, turn your face away. Also, practice (iff you can) putting a hand on your neck. I'm sure you'd rather have a broken hand than a crushed wind pipe.

You could go to a Kunstad sports (sp ?) to get your equipment, or some of it.

And, if you're going to skate 200 feet to make the player make a pass, why not skate 2 more feet and throw a hit ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote