View Single Post
Old
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
doobie604

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I know this is going to come off as a really stupid question, and I know that I'm going to hear a lot of negative even for asking, but is it possible to start playing hockey at 23 and still make it into the NHL?

Believe me, I'm aware that the chances are slim to none. I'm not talking about what the chances are; I'm just wondering if it's within the realm of possibility. Everyone has delusions of grandeur when they play a sport, and most people don't take it very seriously when they say things like that (a lot of people do, and still don't make it.) I know people dedicate their entire lives to this game and don't make it...but again, I'm just wondering if it's possible at all if you have the talent and the drive can those missed years be made up?

I'll go get my flame retardant suit now.
i would say there it's not possible at all. there are too many things to work on and too little time to get to the nhl level. i think mastering skating, shooting, passing, stick handling, taking hits, defensive position, on ice vision, etc is just way too tough when you're 23. if you ever play in beer league, you see guys that are pretty good, but they're nothing compare to jr or university players, and your normal jr/university players are nowhere near ahl players, guess what, nhl players are usually a lot better than the average ahl players.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote