View Single Post
01-11-2011, 01:15 AM
bought a MB jersey
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Even if some corrected you , I don't think you should say ''considéré comme petit''.
The ''comme'' is useless in this sentence I think , just say ''considéré petit''.

Can't edit: maybe my last post is debatable , is ''comme'' really necessary in this sentence or not? My school is rusty.
not only it isnt necessary but it would be wrong to use it.

Considéré in that sentence is the equivalent of jugé or évalué.

Using comme means you are comparing him to something...

1st -> problem, there's no comparison to anyone/anything in your sentence
2nd -> you're making a judgement on his size or try to compare him ? (if so, compared to... ?). It can be one but not both in that very short sentence

Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
That's normal, IMO. Languages do evolve at some point.

As for you OP, Int'l French will serve as foundation if QC French is what you really want to learn.

Theoretically (and I may or may not be right, but that's what I have observed over the years), most of the differences between QC and Int'l French are in the informal dialogue. When writing, grammar and syntax are mostly identical, and so is the vocabulary. The essay that I wrote during the General French Exam in CEGEP (intermediate step between HS and College in Quebec) would probably be graded in a similar fashion in France too. I think, and I am saying this as a native "Standard" (Int'l) French speaker, that most of the differences are in the way people talk in Quebec. Syntax, grammar and especially vocabulary are very different.

And... the more "Quebecois" someone speaks partly has to do with the social standing of that person. Usually, richer, more affluent Quebecers speak a rather soft Quebecois (closer to Int'l French), while the blue-collar, working class, farmers, speak a rather strong one. I guess a similar pattern is also seen in other countries.

Overall, it has more to do with the way you speak than the way you write.
french from France is NOT international french by the way, it's French from France -> nothing more, nothing less.

care to give me examples of the differences in syntax or grammar between Qc french and France french ? you know, what they teach in school

I'm just asking cause quite frankly if the guy goes to a french school he wont have to specify he wants to learn "standard" french, no worries, they wont teach him "si j'arais" or "enweye esti"... otherwise, if it's trough music, TV, etc that he wants to learn... he wont have the option to choose, unless watching TV5 24/7, but then, cant wait for the guy to ask someone where is le drugstore or le market... you know

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote