View Single Post
Old
06-29-2005, 07:55 PM
reckoning

vCash: 500
I have the all-star results for `80, `79, `77, `75 and `73; if anyone`s still interested I could post them; it`s just a pain typing it all in so I was putting it off `til I had more time. However, I did do a couple of quick "Bill James grey ink tests" using the Hart trophy results. The first one was simply taking the top 5 from the years that Ogopogo received the results for and adding up each players total giving 5 points for 1st place, 4 points for 2nd place, etc. It was a fairly lazy test as I didn`t compensate for the seasons in the 1920s that didn`t have full results and I didn`t take margin of victory into account; but still the results were interesting. Remember these aren`t my personal ratings, it`s just a listing of players who received the most support in MVP voting:

1. Wayne Gretzky 55
2. Gordie Howe 54
3. Mario Lemieux 33
4. Eddie Shore 31
5. Bobby Orr 29
6. Bobby Hull 28.5
7. Jean Beliveau 28
8. Jaromir Jagr 22
8. Maurice Richard 22
10. Phil Esposito 21

The other one was a little more complex. I did it before Ogopogo received the
Awards Media Guide and we only had full Hart results for `69- `04. For each of those 36 seasons I took the total number of points the top 10 vote-getters had and then split 50 points between those players based on the percentage of the top ten points they had (that way Martin St. Louis` landslide victory was worth more than Jose Theodore`s razor-thin victory). Then I took another 50 points per season and distributed those evenly among the top ten players ( 5 pts apiece) regardless of finish. That rewards consistency and stops a player from ranking too high just because of one big year.

Once again keep in mind that this is only from 1969-2004. Also once again these
aren`t my personal ratings, just an interpretation of the cumultative Hart results.
One thing I`m convinced of is that defencemen do not get the MVP support they
deserve; only three made this top 20 list, which is ridiculous ( and I think the three
d-men on here should be rated higher than they are. The most surprising part of this list are the high ranking of two Philadelphia Flyers:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Bobby Orr
4. Bobby Clarke
5. Jaromir Jagr
6. Phil Esposito
7. Dominik Hasek
8. Guy Lafleur
9. Mark Messier
10. Bryan Trottier
11. Ray Bourque
12. Tony Esposito