MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)
View Single Post
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Join Date: Aug 2005
A few comments and news notes.
For me my cable company took HDNet out of a small and mostly lame group of HD pay channels package (HDNet was the only channel in it I liked) and put it into the mid-level package I have (which already has plenty of excellent HD channels included). So my tv mma level just rose a nice notch. Happy about that.
Secondly as usual I thought the Strikeforce Challengers show was good and entertaining. Love Joe Rogan, but IMO the announcing team of Stephen Quadros, Maura Ranallo and Pat Militich is easily the best out there.
Some News items:
- There were some questions on by some on why Overeem is included in the awesome (IMO
) upcoming Heavyweight Tourney. The reason is Alistair Overeem as soon as he found out about it wanted in the tournament with his belt on the line and wanted to start off by fighting Werdum to avenge his loss to him in the past. So I am guessing he hopes to fight Kharitonov in this tourney as he is the last person to beat Alistair I believe. Kharitonov also holds a win over Fabricio Werdum.
- Strikeforce is working with Athletic commissions to make every fight in the heavyweight tournament 5 rounds. Not just the title fights as is the usual policy.
- UFC fighter
Pat Berry recently said
he thinks Overeem is unstoppable.
“The dude is a monster. That’s what I think,” he said. “Not only is he humongous, (but) he’s extremely experienced. That’s what makes him the most dangerous. Not just the size, but he has so much experience in MMA and in kickboxing, and he’s a Dutch trained kickboxer. I was in Amsterdam for five years. I know what the Dutch train like out there. The dude is a monster. I don’t know how anyone is going to stop him any time soon.
“He doesn’t seem to get tired. All he needs to do is hit you one time. He’s fast, he’s athletic, and he’s strong as hell. He’s everything you need all in one body.”
- Brock Lesnar and Junior Dos Santos Named Coaches for The Ultimate Fighter 13
Strikeforce January 29th card tv line up
Nick Diaz vs. Evangelista Cyborg for Welterweight Title
Jacare Souza vs. “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler for Middleweight Title
Roger Gracie vs. Trevor Prangley
Hershel Walker vs. Scott Carson
- Joe "Diesel" Riggs signs with Bellator. I am a fan of his, was a little disappointed Strikeforce let him go. But I am happy he landed somewhere where I will be able to easily watch his fights.
- Local Alberta boy Jason MacDonald has been added to UFC 129. He will face Ryan Jensen.
- New announcement that Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan 2 slated for UFC Fight Night 24 March 26th.
- Shane Carwin will fight on UFC 131 and his opponent may be Roy "Big Country" Nelson.
- Mark Hominick Will Face Jose Aldo at UFC 129 If He Wins at UFC Fight for the Troops.
Fights slated for the MFC 28 show in Edmonton Feb. 25 at River Cree Resort & Casino
Ryan Jimmo vs. Dwayne Lewis for the heavyweight title, Tyrone Glover vs. Robert Washington, Kajan Johnson vs. Richie Whitson, Razak Al-Hassan vs. Rodney Wallace, Thomas Denny vs. Sheldon Westcott, and one more bout still to be announced.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Oilerdiehard