View Single Post
Old
10-09-2003, 03:28 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
I think that the writer is pointing out how fast you can go from the top of the world to despair. The suicide reference, at least in my interpretation, is intended to point out the utter bleakness that Heatley must feel. I think he is observing how the reading public has a short attention span and will focus on a sensational trial asap. It seems to me that this article could have been written in better taste a few days after the funeral. The timing makes me think that he is taking advantage of the short attention span, that he is criticizing.

I heard Bob Mckenzie saying that this is as tragic a story as he has known in his days covering hockey, from all perspectives. At least that's the gist of the report I heard. That sums it up, at this point, I don't see the point of the article, or any fresh perspective. sometimes, I think journalists try to hard to have a "take" on an issue, when the simple truth is self-evident. It is a tragedy that will continue to unfold that we hope people can learn from.