Thread: I'm Just Sayin'
View Single Post
Old
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I don't know why the shootout has such a bad reputation. The matter of fact is that the game has to end some time and you can not use the overtime format the playoffs have in the regular season. It is too exhausting to the players, it gives teams a big disadvantage on back-to-back games and TV companies would go berserk. Ties on the other hand are completely and absolutely unattractive. The shootout on the other hand is an exciting part of the game. It doesn't showcase all aspects of the game, but there is definitely skill and intelligence involved.

The problem I see is simply that a shootout, while being a legitimate way to decide a winner, should simply not have the same weight as a regulation win. Hence my advocacy of the 3-point regulation win.
Because shootouts are for the wussification and Bettmanization of the NHL. There is ZERO reason why a shootout should have an imapct on the standings. It is a skills competition. Regular season game, OT ends, I leave. Zero interest, watch it on the highlites later.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote