View Single Post
Old
01-12-2011, 07:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm curious as to what age Brad Richards, Marty St Louis, Vinny Lecavalier , and Dan Boyle all were back then. It seems to me that team was very young and b/c of that many felt they won't be capable of winning the cup.

Now you know why Torts' created a "core" of young players. Now you know why Torts' was against trading youth. He has had past experience and success with a very young team. He has won a cup with a very young team. The 2004 playoffs were considered to be wide open with no clear favorite. All of the top teams had weaknesses. Tampa Bay and Boston were both young teams with no history of recent postseason success. Detroit, Ottawa, Colorado, and Philadelphia all had major questions in goal. New Jersey was marred by injuries to Scott Stevens and Brian Rafalski, while Vancouver was missing the suspended Todd Bertuzzi.

This team has Tortorella's finger prints all over it.

That Tampa team was led by a young core which included Lecavalier, Richards, Modin, and St Louis. Much like our Rangers being led by Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Staal, and to a extent Gaborik. That Tampa team had a backbone in net in Khabibulin, much like this Ranger team with Lundqvist.

Edit: Did my own research.
Richards was 23 in 2004
Lecavalier was 23 in 2004
Martin St Louis was 28
Dan Boyle was 27

Torts has shaped a similar team with a similar pedigree with our Rangers. He has had a history with young teams. It's a pretty darn good history too.
There's a pretty dramatic difference in top end talent and skill with that team. Brad Richards, for example. scored 62 points in each of his first two seasons in the league, as a 20 and 21 year old, and this was in 2000-2002.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote