View Single Post
Old
01-12-2011, 11:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
There's talent on that team. Regardless of who's coaching them, they have the talent to produce a little bit more than they are. Michalek and Foligno are both good forwards too who just havent played well or at least havent produced. The reason why people suggest Spezza is because the majority here want a playmaker for gaborik. Well it doesnt seem like Spezza is doing that an ottawa because if he was setting those other forwards up they would be putting the puck in the net because they are skilled enough to do so. If he's not setting them up then its most likely because hes not showing up. We dont need that here. I dont care if our status is different because were in a playoff race, you show up every game and produce. He's making $7 million, not producing, and he has battled injuries. There is no reason to make the mistake of bringing him here.
Foligno is a 3rd liner masquerading as a top six forward. I can't for the life of me understand how he was a first round pick. Michalek is a player who generates offense from his speed, but he looks a few steps slow. He's had some knee injuries if I recall, which is bad news for a player who relies on speed like he does.

Playing defense against the Sens isn't a scary proposition for opposing teams. You don't have to spread your forces thin because outside of Spezza and Alfredsson, they don't offer much. Their second line center, Fisher, is not a playmaker or skill player. More like a Drury type.

If you put Spezza on a better team, I think his numbers go right back to 80-90 points a season. There are legitimate concerns in terms of injuries with him, though. He's a bit fragile.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote