View Single Post
Old
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I don't believe in moral victories. The coach in me says you always have to take a positive away from every play, game or series. Sometimes it may seem lame but it's really important from a sports psychology standpoint. You also have to learn from the mistakes, but that goes without saying. So if you want to call it moral victory, fine but you're missing the point. I think it sucks as much as anyone we didn't win that series but we played Chicago better then anyone else did and we were in the best position we've ever been in a playoff situation. Both mean we performed better then we ever had in the playoffs and shows improvement. Not as much improvement as everyone had hoped, but improvement. Since we didn't win the series, I can at least look back on it and see what we did better then we had in the past. I can also see what we need to improve on. The fact is that Weber and Suter didn't lose the series for us, having them together was one of the reasons we were in the position to win the series.
Jay, I find this interesting. I also understand exactly what you're talking about. As a software developer and particularly as a manager of several software developers, I employ similar strategies of stressing the positive without ignoring the negative or ways to improve. I suspect all managers of people (at least the successful ones) have to do that.

Way back on 12/27, I wrote this rant at the bottom of my blog:

Quote:
A ranting I shall go…

The loser point is so aptly named. It inspires coaches and players alike to play for such charity and to be satisfied with enough effort to “walk away with something”. Don’t believe me? Read Barry Trotz’s comments in Josh Cooper’s latest blog:

Quote:
…but tonight I said to the guys, I really thought we should have come out of here with at least a point, and maybe two…
and…

Quote:
Some*ti*mes you play games you feel you deserve to win, or deserve at least a point and you don’t get those points.
For a team that has a motto like “No Excuses” it’s nice to know that one point is good enough. The reality of the situation is that one point is one point and all the points help. That said, I’d like nothing more than to see the crutch that is the loser point go away. The truth is that the only thing a team “deserves” is to either win or lose. Last night Nashville deserved to lose and that’s what they did. One shouldn’t get any level of victory (moral or otherwise) just because one held out a little longer. You still weren’t good enough and that’s what should resonate with you and drive you to get better.

If not, maybe you are satisfied with just getting to the playoffs only to lose again.
I think your post above makes me look at my rant with a little more of the perspective I have as a manager of people. With that perspective in mind, I understand why coaches do say the things they do from time to time.

That said, I still favor doing away with the "loser point" and have not changed my feelings that coaches do tend to lean too much on that point (strategically) as well as using the "deserves/ed" cliche too often. To me, if a coach has to do that more than 3-5 times for the entire season, it just falls on deaf ears and leaves the perception of being in denial regarding the problems.

Thanks for the perspective Jay.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote