Thread: Pre-Game Talk: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Discussion
View Single Post
Old
01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
*sigh* What's the point of me even responding to you when you know nothing about Oleksiak. The fact that you chose to compare him to Mihalik and Valabik just further illustrates how little you know.
Too true.

I know i've been pimping Oleksiak out in the Prospects thread, probably much to Tiranis's ire. But I do feel he is a quality prospect. Would i select him in the 1st round? Depends. Drafts shaping up with impact forwards in the 25-30 range.

Oleksiak is not another Valabik, who suffered from poor skating and decision making. Oleksiak moves well for a guy his size and skates more like a Myers than a Valabik. He has a lower, long stride and pretty mobile, but can always be improved. However, i don't think at this point you can say he has the offensive mind as Myers has. Oleksiak is much more defensive-minded, but i think he has recently been playing on the PP a bit. Many Northeastern fans have said that he has been their most steady and defensively sound defenseman this season. Pretty good for a guy who has just turned 18 less than a month ago.

Heres one video (just a NU game recap, but you can see one of his two goals this season):

He is #6. He leads his team in plus minus with +7, team average is -1, and he plays 2nd pairing atm.

That said, there are many forwards i'm liking this draft and think there may be a chance to get a quality defender in the 2nd (Pining for Klefbom!)